Sunday, December 27, 2009

End of the Year Restaurant Round-up: Best of 2009

It's that time of year again. Time to sit back smugly and take stock of the past year. I mean, this year--the year now ending, the year gone by--well, almost. When a nihilistic chill goes through one these evenings, what better way of comforting oneself than making a list? And so, my End of the Year Round-up.

1. Best Menu Font: Speaking of nihilistic chill, hands down my fave font is the grunge inspired lettering on the menu at Flannel's Cafe'. This edgy, "Gen-X"-style alphabet takes my breath--and my appetite--away.

2. Best Toothpick Dispenser: You're joking, right? If there's a receptable devoted to objects made for dislodging food particles in a restaurant somewhere, I don't want to hear about it.

3. Best Background Music: The royalty-avoiding "almost hits" played at the Bitterest Gumdrop are always appreciated.

4. Best Overlooked Crumbs: I like my eatery to be human. And that means I want there to be that little area where the roomba forgot to suck dirt. Goofball's Comedy Pit, you know who you are.

5. Best Mascot: The squeak-toy-inspired Uncle Pig at Pork Belleez is my favorite of the many mascots now roaming the aisles in dining establishments nowadays.

6. Best Gift Shop: The gag items offered at Food Ghost complement the fare.

7. Best Slaw: The piquant, festive, confetti-like slaw at Hieronymo's is still going strong.

8. Best Posted Warnings: The quaint "No Vulgar Talk or Filth" signs at Kerplunk's are a little scary--but in a good way.

9. Best credit-card folder: I know my plastic is secure when I place it into the professional guest-check presenter at Golly's.

10. Best "Please Wait to be Seated" Post. The tarnished brass post at Simply Slop never fails to please.

* * * * *

Well, there you have. Another top-ten list to inspire some better choices next year, or just to soothe yourself when those pane-rattling winds are wailing. Till next time, remember--if it tastes funny, don't forget to laugh!

No comments: